Looking for something to do? Need some FREE activities to keep your kids busy during the summer? Here is a list of events that are fun and free (or really cheap) in the Nashville area. I have them listed by season to make it easier to search. Be sure to check out my calendar for more dates and exact times.
Year Round Events
- Home Depot Kids Workshop: Workshops are designed for children ages 5-12 and are offered on the first Saturday of the month between 9 a.m. and noon at all Home Depot stores.
- Lowes Build & Grow Clinic: Workshops are offered every-other Saturday at 10 a.m
- Barnes & Nobles Storytime: Every Saturday morning, read stories about our favorite characters or feature a new release by a favorite author.
Reading Rewards Programs
- Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Club: Kids in grades 1-6 can receive a free book from Barnes & Noble by reading 8 books over the summer. They will need to fill out a Summer Reading Journal and bring the journal to a B&N location when they are finished. They will then receive a coupon for a free book.
- Borders Double Dog Dare You Reading program: Kids 12 and under can join the Borders Double Dog Dare You Reading program. They will earn a free book when they read 10 books, fill out this form and bring it in to any Borders, Waldenbooks, or Borders express store by August 26, 2010.
- Pottery Barn Kids Book Club: Pottery Barn Kids holds story time every Tuesday from 11:00-11:30. (Check your local store to confirm the time and date). After attending 5 times, your child will receive a free gift.
- Williamson County Libraries: “Make A Splash – READ” is for kids ages 2 through 12. There will be great programs every week at every location as well as giveaways throughout the summer.
- Nashville Public Library: “TSR2020″ is for all teens in Davidson County, ages 12-18. It begins June 1 and continues through July 17.
Free or Cheap Activities:
- VBS (Vacation Bible School)
- Regal Summer Movies for Kids: Beginning in June, select Regal Theaters will offer free family friendly movies starting at 10 am each Tuesday and Wednesday during the festival. Tickets are only available the day of the show and first-come, first-served seating is limited to theatre capacity. Mt. Juliet, Green Hills & Hendersonville locations participating.
- Carmike Cinemas Summer Kid’s Series: Beginning in June, select Carmike Cinemas will offer $1 kids movies starting at 10 am each Tuesday. Tickets are only available the day of the show and first-come, first-served seating is limited to theatre capacity. Click to see a list of participating theaters in middle TN.
- Harpeth Hills Kids Movies: “Mom, I’m Bored” movie series is every Wednesday & Thursday in June and July at 10am in the Youth Center
- Kids Bowl Free at Jaymar: Kids can bowl free this summer! By participating in the “Kids Bowl Free” program, children can bowl two free games per day.
- Free Admission to National Parks: The National Park Service will offer free admission at more than 100 National Parks on the weekends of June 5-6 and August 14-15. In Tennessee, Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park and Shiloh National Military Park are participating.
- Bank of America Free Museums: If you have a Bank of America Credit, Debit or ATM card, you can get free admission to Cheekwood Botanical Garden or the Frist Center for Visual Arts the first weekend of every month.
- Outdoor Events (Concerts, Dances, etc)
- Dances in the Park (Centennial Park)
- Movies in the Park (Centennial Park): Wednesday evenings in June, they will be showing a free movie in the Bandshell.
- Franklin Park Events: Movies at Pinkerton Park & concert at the Park at Harlinsdale Farm.
- Murfreesboro Movies Under the Stars: 5 nights a week of FREE movies, locations vary.
- Crockett Park Concerts: Concerts are on Sunday nights at 7pm in the Eddy Arnold Amphitheater.
- City of Goodletsville: lots of activities
- Regions Free Days (Nashville Symphony Concerts): Many events all year long. Check out the complete schedule here.
- Music at the Mill (Smyrna)